Starting a New School Year

By Matt Cronin
It's October already. The first month was a blur. Managing the technology along with teaching 7th grade Language Arts and Global Studies is challenging. There is always something that needs to be done. I feel like I'm playing a Whack-A-Mole game where I smash one problem only to have another raise its head. I love how the latest release of Mac OS X broke our Netboot software update. Now I'm trying to get all the student accounts activated for the year. Oh well, at least it makes things interesting.

Having dual roles gives me a privileged position to integrate technology into the classroom. I started to use the wiki to aggregate the information we develop in class. The kids see me entering information into the wiki, but aren't quite sure what to make of it. I'm not sure of the next step either. Maybe use it for an integrated writing project or the Life 'Round Here project.

I'm also integrating Google Earth into our civilization project. I'm hoping Google Earth will be the perfect platform for the students to present their projects. It might also give me a chance to present some basic html coding.

Now if Apple would just fix Netboot, my life would be perfect.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?